View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 08:26 AM   #13
Higgy
The Gardener

Yeah, I'm just thinking about all this "preparedness". Really, if something that bad happened, wouldn't having a garden or people knowing you have stored food or a generator make you a target? I think some of the best things to do would be to lay as low as possible because it would be anarchy out there as you say. Your so called neighbors will turn into your enemies unless you all band together to form a community of sorts. As much as I'd hate to say it, you'd need some kind of guns or weapons to keep you and your family safe. And you sure as hell wouldn't want to turn on any lights if you do have a generator. You'd be a huge target. Candles would be the norm. A house would need an actual fireplace. Really any of us who get hit with snow who have larger houses without a fireplace would kind of be screwed. It would almost be better to have a European type of house...small, with a fireplace and wood stoves to keep you warm in the winter. Some kind of cold storage under the house to keep food. And some kind of 10 foot barbed wire fence around your house. I'm not sure any of us could really prepare for something that crazy to happen.

It's funny to think that if we lost electricity or conveniences right now it would turn us all into a bunch of crazy people and we'd fall into chaos when not even 150 years ago they did just fine without all of these conveniences...for the most part.

Last edited by Higgy; 02-09-12 at 08:29 AM..