View Single Post
Old 10-01-13, 09:26 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

That vacuum pump is good for vacuum bagging, but no good for HVAC work. A freezer compressor would be far superior to that. But for about $150 or so, you can get a reasonably good two stage.

For some reason, automotive gauges and residential/commercial gauges are different. You should be able to get a reasonable deal at a local HVAC store. (I got my pair of Yellow Jacket gauges for under $50 at a local store a few years back.)

A micron gauge is not a requirement, but it can be very helpful. For a one off, doing a pressure test followed by a triple evac gets it done.

You do need some way to purge (if you need to braze) and pressure test, which can be done with nitrogen or CO2. (Propane can be used for purging, but only for the outdoor connections.)

Also note that a common propane torch will not work for brazing. MAPP gas works, but the good stuff isn't made anymore. Nowadays, either oxy-propane or air-acetylene works great. (So does oxy-acetylene, but it's especially easy to overheat the braze with it...) If you wait long enough, you might be able to find an oxygen concentrator for cheap on Craigslist.