View Single Post
Old 05-19-10, 07:14 AM   #44
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Operating Voltage range: 12.5V to 28V Maximum input Voltage: 28V
Solar Panel: 30W minimum, only use PV panels with maximum power voltage at 17.5V.

That seems to really limit how high you can go with your panels or turbine..
How do you plan to feed this inverter?
I missed this question. Here's the plan so far;
I plan to have two 12v batteries, the arduino will be monitoring battery voltage and genereator current. When the battery voltage gets high enough (to be determined), it will use the GTI as a dump load until the voltage drops to a certain lower level, then it will disconnect the GTI and continue charging. If at any time the charge current goes above a set limit the arduino will switch the batteries from a 12v parallel set to a 24v series pack. This will allow the generator to provide the best charge power without overheating the windings. The GTI can recieve power from the batteries in either configuration. The generator will always be connected to the batteries in all modes. The batteries are a buffer and a storage device for the inverter. The wind is too dynamic to try direct connecting to this inverter.
I have decided to furl the turbine around 200w for now, to be on the safe side. This way, the GTI can always keep the batteries from over charging (here's hoping I need to worry about that). The generator really isn't rated above 8 amps anyway, so that is kind of my limit with a 24v system . I have made some heatsinks to put on the motor housing to help cool it, so I'll see if it can take more. There is a temp sensor in the motor I may monitor if I can come up with a graceful way of bringing the signal down the tower.
I have been looking at batteries and thinking more about the tower. Those are the things I'm really waiting on.

This is the plan for now anyway.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote