View Single Post
Old 12-16-12, 03:55 PM   #6
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I've been reading the comments to the original article I mentioned and they are pretty interesting. Several people mentioned that what they most worry about is indoor air quality in the bedrooms if one is using just a bathroom fan for ventilation. After all, many multi person households like to have their bedroom doors closed at night, which would stop any fresh air from coming into the room you spend the most time in.

And later a person brought up the idea of using jumper ducts to the bedrooms from the
bathroom. That seems like a good idea but might incur a big cost in time and effort depending on circumstances. Since I'm not yet at the place where my house is even close to being superinsulated the point is moot for now. But since the house is pretty well torn apart right now for construction I'm thinking of implementing that design before things are closed back up. It's cheap to do it now.

Like others I'm pretty impressed with the Panasonic fans. Since my house is single story, 1000 ft, 2 bedroom located in California it seems crazy for me to go the HRV route, even when everything gets tight thermally. It may be a less obvious decision for others in differing circumstances, but I think people in not severely cold places with small single story homes could also benefit from this approach. If you substitute that small Panasonic $400 modular bathroom HRV instead of a fan it seems like a no brainer. But maybe my situation is coloring my judgement...

Last edited by Exeric; 12-16-12 at 03:57 PM..
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote