View Single Post
Old 10-22-13, 06:27 PM   #10
ESharp
Lurking Renovator

I currently have an older oil forced air furnace which I’d love to stop buying oil for I’ve installed a water-to-air heat exchanger (Finned Coil Water to Air Heat Exchangers) in the return plenum and the heating loop pump circulates water directly from the storage tank through it. I realize that relatively low-temp solar isn’t an ideal supply for this, but installing hydronic in-floor heat is a project for another day. The exchangers are typically used for those with back-yard wood boilers and are pretty decently priced. We typically turn the heat down quite low at night and it’s also off during the day while away. This gives a bit larger of a delta-t to work with.

As for the summer, I think I’m going to need a pool

Here are some pictures of the plumbing. I followed Gary’s design fairly closely here. I am using a TACO-011 for the solar circulating pump. The smaller pump is a TACO-005 for the heating loop. The domestic supply to the hot water tank is a 300’ coil of 1” PEX. I plan to add a few spacers to spread the coil out a bit in the tank.

Attached Images

ESharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ESharp For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (03-07-21), Lawrence (02-22-22)