View Single Post
Old 10-23-09, 01:14 AM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

I've been toying with the idea of enclosing a balcony in the NW face of our house to create an unheated buffer zone. It's going to be hard to convince the other occupants, especially since we have more important renovations waiting for funds...

Here in Poland quilts have been in action for decades, if not centuries. During the winter, many stores and homes have one hanging about 1-2 meters in from the entrance, creating a vestibule. This keeps the warm air in the rest of the space from exiting when the door is open. Unfortunately some stores, especially the high-end fancy ones, don't want to have anything to do with quilts. For some unknown reason they prefer to keep their doors wide open year round, in the summer heat and in the freezing cold. They think that a blower over the entrance creates an air curtain holding the cool/warmth in. It makes me cringe when I see this.

Most houses here are constructed with a small (2-3 sq.m.) entry room, often unheated, to keep the house's heat from escaping. Almost all Amercian houses that I've seen don't have this: the front door opens up into a large hall area, next to the living room.

Many homes (and even apartments) have double doors, ie two doors on one frame - one opens in, the other out. This creates an air pocket that greatly improves insulation. My Brother-in-law recently insulated his front door on the inside. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Advanced HVAC systems allow you to have 'zones'. For example at night only the bedrooms (upstairs) are heated, while during the day only the ground floor is warm. Closing the vent/radiator in an unused room, allowing it to be a few degrees cooler, also helps reduce heating losses.

That's great that you have the mini split. Makes me jealous

BTW: AC, I can't see the picture of the quilt door.
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote