View Single Post
Old 03-17-13, 12:12 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx290 View Post
I might be able to pull off a small under sink water heater in my kitchen that recovers heat from the drain water under the sink while I do the dishes.
Very interesting post.

Your head is moving in the right direction... now we just have to get your hands involved.

R290 is a very interesting, economical and efficient refrigerant. However, regarding an apartment-dweller engaging in R290 experimentation, I think it is a bad idea.

R134a can be bought from auto supply stores and R134a vapor compression machines are beginning to filter into second hand stores at encouraging prices.

Small water coolers with very small R134a compressors are showing up. They are nicely sized for a project such as you have in mind. I suspect that their compressors might not be so efficient, but the size is right. However, their cap tubes are integrated into the lines which return refrigerant from the evaporator. It would be difficult to scavenge those parts for your use... not impossible, but difficult. If you can pick up one of those little units for less than $15 it would be worth investigating... try the Goodwill bins. They sell all manner of useful stuff by the pound.

An easier bet would be to look for R134 de-humidifiers, as their cap tubes are easily separated for your use. You would want the smallest you could find, which would be about 20 pt. per day. These units would probably be a bit too big, but worth a try. Again, try the Goodwill bins.

Getting your hands involved will definitely improve your thinking.

As a sport shoe maker should have said, "Just make it."

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-17-13 at 12:17 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote