View Single Post
Old 01-04-12, 08:42 PM   #8
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogart View Post
I did some research and Honeywell still doesn't have a swing setting on any of their thermostats, just warm air, hot water, and electric. I am really leaning toward the Lux thermostats. The Lux Smart Temp TX1500E seems quite well equipped and adjustable for only $34 on Amazon. I'm thinking I'll be buying one of those soon.

I totally agree. This furnace actually has a General Air AC-1 pleated media filter unit on it. The problem is that when I bought the house (with the furnace) there was no filter media in it, only a cheapo blue filter wedged inside the oversized compartment with a dryer sheet box. The rack that is supposed to hold that media in place is gone and I haven't found out where to buy a new one yet. My recent experience with the pleated paper filters gives me the impression that this blower just sucks too much air for them to be effective for more than a couple weeks before they get dirty and start impeding airflow. Looks like I'm stuck with cheapo filters for now .
A quick search with Google Product Search for Generalaire AC1 found a link to this.
MERV 11 GeneralAire 12758 / 4001 Filter Media Alternative
http://www.amazon.com/AC-1-MERV-Gene.../dp/B000NMF45G

The first link has a good picture, seems the model number for the AC1 filter might be 12758 if the actual dimensions you see match this. Measure it out and see. A 5" filter is supposed to be a 6 month to a year filter depending on how dust it has to deal with but since there is so much media it should be able to hold a whole bunch more dust than a 1" thick filter.
Nominal Dimensions: 20" x 25" x 5"
Actual Dimensions: 19.6" X 24.1" X 4.75"

The Lux Smart Temp TX1500E, I just read a review on the amazon $34 listing, someone there says it has 9 settings from .25 degree difference up to 2.25 degree difference. Seems like this thermostat is a good pick unless you need the programmability to be 7 days of the week or if you have a two-stage a/c or something, otherwise this looks to be full-featured.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
abogart (01-05-12)