View Single Post
Old 01-04-12, 03:09 PM   #3
abogart
Efficiency Afficionado

I have been frustrated with this thermostat for a while now. It is an older Honeywell Magicstat digital programmable unit. The only cycle settings I get are on the back. There are two screws labeled A and B. There are three options that are set by turning one or both of the screws all the way in, or out 360 degrees. The settings are as follows:

Warm air: A = in, B = in
Hot water: A = out, B = in
Electric: A = in, B = out

The manual doesn't say what exactly each of these settings does. There is also a note that states "For high efficiency units (90%+ AFUE) set A = out and B = in." Quoting the manual, "In the unlikely event that you would like longer cycle times, for warm air set to the hot water setting." There is also a GAS/ELECTRIC switch that apparently turns the blower on as soon as it calls for heat.

I have had it set to the hot water setting for the whole heating season so far, but it seems like I get SHORT or SHORTER cycle times with this thermostat. The thermostat has been moved from a drafty back room of the house to a central wall in the living room closer to the front of the house, away from any windows. There is a register around the corner of the wall, but I have it closed completely. I have never actually seen the temperature change on the thermostat once it has reached its set temperature, so I'm thinking that it must be maintaining less than +/- 1 deg.

I have been debating about replacing it, but I wasn't sure if a newer thermostat would be any better, since they all seem to advertise that they "maintain precise comfort levels in the home within +/- 1 deg." So I wasn't sure if any other thermostats had an adjustment for cycle length. Is there any specific model that you recommend?
abogart is offline   Reply With Quote