View Single Post
Old 12-16-08, 12:08 PM   #22
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

not a lot of detailed shots during the install but here is the album where I did the roof. From a roof point of view they install pretty much the same as all of the other vents. cut the hole, tarpaper, shingle up to the hole, drop in tube flashing piece, finish shingling. Then you drop the metal tube into the flashing piece, add the dome and you're done on the roof.

Inside cut the hole attach the plastic piece that holds everything to the roof. put the tube in and then climb into the attic to make the connection.

Relatively simple but a bit nit picky at times. the tube itself isn't the strongest piece of metal so you can't really force it to fit even though being able to reef on it would be nice at times. Also it comes with a protective plastic film inside that you have to remove but because the film was applied before the tube was shaped the film is pinched into the joints making it all but impossible to get completely out.

Here is an album of the roof being done, It doesn't have a lot of detail about the tubes because I was on the roof doing the work. Not a lot to see anyways.
Picasa Web Albums - Jamie - new roof
In this album you can see the inside part of the bathroom reno
Picasa Web Albums - Jamie - bathroom reno
In some of the pictures you'll see what looks like light reflecting off of water on the walls and washing machine. that is what the light looks like when you don't have the diffuser/cover on. here is a good example of that. http://picasaweb.google.ca/strider37...94293229834034

When that is installed it spreads the light in a really nice glow. It's great. Right now there is no sun on the house and in the bathroom without an windows and with the door closed is still easy to see well enough to do your business. If shaving or the wife was applying make up I'd turn on the lights but everything else is fine.

I don't have any pictures of the kitchen tube. It basically looks the same but larger. I centered it in the room and when the sun is hitting the roof my wife jokes that it looks like the transporter in startrek. It absolutely glows and you can't look directly at it without it's diffuser on. Way too bright.

Last edited by strider3700; 12-16-08 at 12:11 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote