View Single Post
Old 11-26-23, 08:32 AM   #33
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
This summer I reworked the heat trap plumbing on the hot side, extending it first barely above the top of the tank (can't go higher due to low ceiling) then down almost to the cold input:

Hoping this shape, plus the weighted flap of the swing valve, would be enough to stop heat escaping when the pump is not working.

Now that heating season has started I see it didn't stop, the pump and plumbing are still warm/hot, even after a few hours

Only closing the manual valve next to the pump stops the flow, I am afraid that the only solution here might be a mechanical gizmo to open/close the valve whenever the pump is/not powered. I was hoping to avoid that, as I wanted this as simple and passive as possible.
As a test, what happens if you direct a fan over the pipe rising from the low bend to cool it down? Maybe why it's not working is because the pipe never manages to cool down enough for the trap to work.