Thread: the Power Shed
View Single Post
Old 11-02-11, 09:56 PM   #1
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default the Power Shed

Well, I blame Xringer for this. I have a bunch of solar panels (6 @ 250 mono), a few batteries (6 L16s, total of 1185 amp hrs at 12 volts), a controller (Morningstar TS-60), an inverter (Ramsond 3000 pure sine), some fuses, a combiner box (midnight solar), odds and sods, and a bunch of wire. Six gauge, one gauge ...

I was going to build a small shed to hold the batteries/controller/inverter next to a sturdy iron pole embedded in concrete, slap the panels onto a store bought solar tracker and call it an offgrid solar system. But oh no, Xringer had to post a video of a Power Shed. Why just click a button and it floats down from the sky and voila, solar power.

So I, foolish mortal that I am, said, I can build that. It'll be easy.
Here's how easy it's been so far:

(PS-whenever you read "Power Shed," hear a booming voice with thunderous drums in the background).

Step one:
Pick up a bunch of pressure treated lumber and play with the nail gun.

This is my power shed base.

Step two:
Get out the "genius 8" and clear the field where the shed will go.

This is my McCormick genius 8 plow (circa 1937). Came with the property. It's a two furrow plow, just the right size for clearing the topsoil from my power shed site.

Then take the auger and aug out some holes. This is my "best friend" when it comes to lending a hand, the tractor. Note the handy auger attachment, ideal for power shed piers.

And, see how easy, the site is ready.

Step three:
Insulate the base with foam board and sheath the floor. Then frame 'er up.

So, toss a few 10 to 14 foot 4x4s into the ground. Square them up. Whack some 2x4s into a wall like shape. Trim, jiggle and shake the lumber until it fits pretty good. Use the tractor to tug the stubborn bits. The frames up.

Step four: Slap on some siding.

Here the siding holds the frame square. Wait, I used local true 4x4 white cedar posts and guess what, they ain't close to straight. Oh well, the base is square.

Step five:
Place the rafters, sheath the roof, and put on the water and ice shield.

And here she is. Wrap quickly as it's about to rain. Oh wait, it rains for the next two weeks. Luckily I don't know this yet.

Oh, and don't forget to mention the hired hand. Well, my dad, Jim, passed up some tools and a few boards anyway.

That's all I have pictures for so far. I've got the metal roof on, some flashing has been done, the hinges for the panel rack went up today, but will have to take more pictures and post them anon.

Last edited by creeky; 11-20-11 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: math correction on amp hours
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-03-11), GoFish_Tony (11-04-11), Piwoslaw (11-03-11)