View Single Post
Old 01-19-10, 06:32 AM   #246
dawnpatrol
Lurking Renovator

Smile My gshp..

A friend of mine is a plumber and between us we did the whole thing, floors, heatpump, plumbing. I contracted a rig to do the drilling but then did all the pipe work and manifolds. I went on the installer course at the heat pump supplier and then relayed the information to my plumber. We connected it all up but then werenīt allowed to commision it as it would invalidate the warranty..that was hard as I just wanted to get it going!

Now the bad news..I have had 2 new compressors (under warranty) but it seems that was a freak..the first was caused by a oil leak which locked the compressor solid and the second by not getting all the oil out when they replaced it first time. But now all is well and hopefully will be for the next 25 years!! I spend half the month away (at the moment in Brazil), so it has to be reliable as otherwise my family would go nuts.

I will do a proper write up and find some pictures to put up.

I have been looking at those boards you have got and I will be interested to see how you get on with them..if it is positive I will go the same way. I was thinking that what we really need is a networked kill-a-watt meter..then we could monitor everything in the house. Maybe we should carry on the data logger info in your other thread, to keep it all in one place?

A friend of mine wants to use a lake as a heat source..3500 sq ft house..lake 75m by 50m by 10m (deep)..another friend of mine (who installs systems) put one in a lake..but in the summer it was so warm the heatpump was producing masses of energy. I have a 2000 llitre rainwater tank and am thinking of using that as a heat source. At least it is burried so I can control the solar gain to it, with a lake you canīt really put a sunscreen over it! I have seen a skip full of water being used, admittedly as a demonstration, but it is a cheap valuable source, particularly if you supplement it with solar ie heat it up using a solar collector. If you look at the gshp on Mt Best, Australia, this is what he has done. He also runs his gshp off his genertated electricity, though I donīt know how he gets over the startup currrents..on mine it is 40 amp at 220 volt (thatīs with a soft start on single phase)

An ideal plot of land would have a running stream through it, plenty of energy for electricity and heat for a gshp. I have been told that in Scandanavia there is a system where they use solar gain in the summer to heat up water in an underground cavern and then extract it in the winter..apparently for a whole town! I must try and get some info on it.

I am beginning to learn that a gshp is all about the heat source..the rest is just plumbing and refrigeration.

I like the look of the milling machine, luckily I have access to a friends..
dawnpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote