View Single Post
Old 01-07-10, 07:56 PM   #241
mikecrowle
Lurking Renovator

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have found that a lot of people have put a lot of good ideas and information here, and I wanted to be a part of it.

I am also interested in GSHP because I have recently purchased a home close to Montreal Canada (cold) with about 5 acres of land. And would like something cheaper and cleaner than the oil furnace that it has now.

I am thinking of a GSHP with horizontal coils (slinky). I would need a gas-to-air heat exchanger that I could connect to the existing ducts for the forced air. I think that I will be able to put the slinky coils in myself, saving a lot of money. The HP is another story as it gets a little more complex.

I would like some feedback on the idea of taking a window style A/C unit and building a water tight box around the cold side heat exchanger, then flooding the box with closed loop ground water. (I know that this heat exchanger is designed for air not liquid but this should still work. Of course the system would need a pump, isolation valves, expansion tank, maybe headers but you get the idea). I could mount the hot side in an appropriate place in my duct work and that should be it. Low cost and simple, but will it work?

Thanks for any advice and to all the people that have taken the time to share the knowledge.

MIke

mikecrowle is offline   Reply With Quote