Thread: Bad news
View Single Post
Old 09-18-16, 10:22 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Glad to hear (in another thread) that nobody got hurt. It still baffles me that all these people that wreck into my old saturns walk away with catastrophic damage to their vehicles. Mine just drives away with another scuff or scratch. I've never been in any high-speed collisions in any of them, though I've been hit lots below about 20-30 mph.

As far as the insurance companies are concerned, they always want to total my gas-saver. Sometimes they want to throw me too much money to keep the car, so I just let them have it and find another. The last one was a 95 sl2. Some lady in a shiny new Kia had to have the turn lane at a light, and cut me off doing about 15 mph. I swerved and tried to not hit her in the 15 feet i had, and ended up crushing about 18 inches of the thing all the way to the rear wheel. The mushroom fasteners on my front bumper cover broke, along with the styrofoam spacer between it and the actual bumper. It bent her rear axle and wheel. I drove away after a stiff pull on the spoiler, she needed a tow truck.

The insurance company offered me $2500 for that car, so it went away and was replaced with an 02 sc2. I had enough money left over to put new tires on the vehicle. It has since paid for itself in gas savings and has done damage to other cars trying to kill it on the road. The last insurance company only wanted to give me $300 more to total it, so I still own it. That time, the car got a swift kick in the rear bumper cover to pop out a smashed in corner section. For $1200, I can live with some spider-webbed paint. The honda that hit me wasn't so lucky... it bled green and red stuff on the road.

Hope you enjoy good fortune with the insurance adjuster.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote