View Single Post
Old 04-18-11, 02:07 AM   #108
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
FREE HEAT FOR LIFE ;-)

We did the development in NZ, and now have interest from all over since we received Patent Pending status.

I only saw this post now.

It seems to be quite similar to the project I am doing. The main difference between my project and Captrons is, that mine is (will be) open source, while Captrons is commercial and (apparently will be) patent protected.

In the USA and Canada, the principle of storing heat under the house for all year space heating is decades old. So I wonder what part of the system will be covered by patent?

In my philosophy, the main drive is that as many people as possible should be able to employ this principle of seasonal storage. If there are restrictions as to who are allowed to build and sell it, the use of it would be much less. The main purpose of solar heating is to beat the pants of fossil fuel use, and this is cause is not helped if restricted by patents.

Since the principle of storing heat in the ground is already well known, I doubt that any parts of that patent pending status will prevent others from doing similar projects. Like mine.

I did think of getting a patent somne years ago - if I could - only to ensure that others did not do so and thus restrict the success of the principle. But it would be way too expensive to get a patent - beyond my ability - with no return on that investment if made available to all.

Instead I asked the experts about how the principles could be protected AGAINST a future patent to limit its use. And I was informed that if the information is in the public domain and published, others cannot later patent an idea which already exists.

Captron might use some very special techniques they can patent, maybe their control system. But I seriously doubt they can patent pumping solar heated water under the house and use that a seasonal storage. They did not invent solar thermal heating, underfloor heating nor heat pumps.

In my system, which can be used in existing as well as new houses, I am using several different technologies in a combination, to add up to a design which will be up to 100% self sufficient. This is depending on the design, how well the house is insulated, how large the solar panels are, and so on.

Captron speaks of fear of getting his throat cut by revealing too many details of the way they have chosen to do it. I have the opposite fear - that their patent might be able to restrict how others can use this long used principle.

Here are some links to information about how this has been employed previously:

http://www.greenershelter.com/TokyoPaper.pdf

Greener Shelter

Capturing Heat While the Sun Shines

Although the above projects are using air as the heat transfer medium from roof to soil, the principle is the same if you use liquid rather than air.

Technologies

These ideas above are liquid based as transport medium.

In my system, an existing house have had three 3.5 inch tubes inserted under the house, from a hole dug in the front. Inside the large tube is a smaller tube, about 1.25 inch, reaching to the end of the large tube. This allows water to be circulated all the way through, to deposit heat during the summer. Most of the heat extracted will dissipate to the top, naturally, while it is also possible to extract heat in the same manner. These tubes are inserted by a company that already specializes in placing tubing and cables under existing structures and other obstacles.

Building a new house, using this technique, there would be different layers - different depths - where heat is deposited. The tubes would be inserted into the ground by the same technique as described above - or it could be dug in but this is normally much more difficult. The several layers principle is to have more control over when the heat reaches the floor. During the summer, most of the heat will be deposited in the lowest layer, while during winter, any excess heat will be used at the topmost layer.

To conclude this - as much as I appreciate Captrons effort in this important area of seasonal solar heating, I fear that it will complicate things for the rest of us.

Last edited by osolemio; 04-18-11 at 05:09 PM..
osolemio is offline   Reply With Quote