View Single Post
Old 09-12-16, 11:32 AM   #18
stevehull
Steve Hull

I did not insulate my sub-slab PVC ducts and my ground temp in Oklahoma is about 60 F. You are a few degrees warmer. I did look into PVC duct insulation and the cost was way too expensive. I did not insulate my slab. Absolutely necessary up in the cold north.

Of course you will need amps to run a deep well pump, but you don't need pressure and you can run a GTHP on 10 psi. Then have a separate "booster" surface pump to do 60 psi for home use.

The alternative to an open loop (aka "pump and dump") is to put in expensive vertical wells or did like crazy and put in a huge loop field. Lots of time and or $.

Solar, to run a pump with a grid tie, is NOT expensive. If fact, it is so cheap that you can't afford not to do it. Your 20 year lifetime kWhr cost will be a fraction of the current retail kWhr cost.

But you did confirm, "as efficient as money will allow" . . . . .

I would do open loop geothermal, a 10 kW solar system and a SIP home. You are FAR better to do solar PV and efficient heating/cooling now. If you install yourself (not hard) the cost is about $1.1 a watt. Then the 30% tax credit - so the real cost is about $0.75 a watt.

This means about $7,500 to put in a 10 kW PV system, let's say $4K for a GTHP (including ducting). That total is under $12K. Pay someone to do this and add another $20K. Typical charges to put in a grid tied PV system are $3+/watt.

Start by setting yourself up for savings and then put other important stuff around it - like LED bulbs, SIPS, tight house, ERVs, etc.

Think strategically - not tactically . . . . it is all about saving money down the road.

Lastly, what you pay for electricity is AFTER tax money. Lets assume you are in the 20% IRS bracket (being conservative). To make $100 in take home, you have to make $120. But you pay for all stuff AFTER taxes. That is why money saved is such a boost.

Steve