View Single Post
Old 10-19-12, 01:35 PM   #22
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Any luck finding anything else/new?
Funny that you should ask...

I did find another interesting light. I don't know if it will solve my unique problem with lighting the mini-loo, but it is a very interesting light nonetheless.

It is called a COB (Curcuit-On-Board), and not to be confused with Corn Cob Lights.

The idea is that several LEDs are directly attached to a circuit board, in close proximity, and the circuit board becomes the heat sink.

This particular light has a built in reflector and clear LED cover and contains the circuitry to change from 120-240 VAC to regulated current appropriate for the LEDs. There is no focusing lens integrated into the LED, so light is soft and widely dispersed. I didn't notice power detail when I ordered the light as I also ordered a LED power supply, too (NOT NEEDED). I'm sure I'll be able to use it on other projects.

The light has 'wings' that will hold it in place once it is inserted through a ceiling hole.

This light has a yellow filter to make it 'warm white', also available are cool white. In service, I didn't notice any yellow effect. My camera doesn't seem to auto color-balance on LED lighting but at hight, by eye, the color looks very natural to me.

I think that this is a really great light, it cost about $12 w/free shipping from China. I am strongly considering ordering about 5 more of them for ceiling lights in the basement.

This unit is rated about 7 watts (14 - 0.5 watt LEDs). Note that the lack of focusing lenses will result in a lower light level per square foot, but a much wider dispersion.

By the way, I came upon this wide array of LED lights by typing "LED light" into the ebay search window, and there I found everything that China had to offer, all 561,251 listings!

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-19-12 at 01:42 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote