View Single Post
Old 03-11-11, 04:09 PM   #6
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaneinc View Post
My house has absolutely no insulation. No AC/Heat either. I have someone coming out this week to at least put R-13 in the walls and R-30 in the attic. It'll most likely be blown in to save some money because on top of everything else I'm a single father raising 2 small children.
little info that may be helpful:
House is approx. 1158 sqft. it has a decent size backyard for Southern California standards. I have a train track right behind my house as well.
Arkaneinc,

The above advice about air-sealing / weatherizing is great. I would also suggest doing an energy audit on the house so you have a baseline to start with.

The Home Energy Saver is a free, DIY energy audit you can do to get an idea of where best to start on improving the energy efficiency of your house and get estimated ROI on different improvements. I've done this DIY home energy audit for my house and it's definitely worth the time needed to fill in the data.

Even better would be to have a Performance Energy Audit (with blower door test) done for your house. You electric / nat. gas utility may offer a rebate or low-cost performance audit program.

Either way, find out where you are wasting energy/heat/cooling first and then you can build a plan to address those issues.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote