View Single Post
Old 03-06-10, 01:40 PM   #10
Daox
Administrator

I continued the taping this morning. This time I moved to the first floor where my largest (and I think only) cold air return is.

I quickly found out that the duct isn't directly connected to the cold air return though. The vent drops down and the only opening is what you see here (minus a 1" gap on the other side just open to the basement that I taped up). It looks like someone measured wrong and cut into the floor at the wrong point.

So, I removed the piece of sheet steel on the side. I felt around behind it and felt nothing so I wondered why it was there. This is what was behind it. I still have no idea why it was there...

Oh, but what is this? I see light. Yeah, thats the basement. My main cold air return had a HUGE leak into the basement.

So, I re-bent the piece I had taken out and pushed it to the end of the cold air return. This picture is looking up from the basement. You can see how large this leak was.

I then bent up a new piece to go next to the old piece to complete the block off.

I then taped it up as best I could.

Then, I went back upstairs and taped up as much as I could on the other side.

Its far from being perfectly sealed, but its definitely a step in the right direction. I'm hoping to put a new floor in this room in the not too distant future, so I didn't try to get it perfect. I'll fix it when I get around to that project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote