View Single Post
Old 05-13-16, 02:13 PM   #60
BeeHappy
Lurking Renovator

Hi Mobile Master Tech,

Thank you so much for the detailed info on your certainteed silver birch roof. I'm considering to reroof with exact same material as yours. May I please ask:
- How well does your roof hold up?
- How much energy savings do you see on your bill in summer time?
- Do you see any increase in energy bill in winter time? since the roof reflects sunlight, I wonder if it makes house colder in winter.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
It's actually a pleasing light gray. Wish the picture did it justice. Most white roofs are very... well, WHITE, and they tend not to stay that way. You're welcome to come look, but it looks like your trip would be a bit long!

Many home improvement stores have a large sample patch installed on the wall and smaller sample boards you can take home with a deposit. Since you aren't in the US, the specification you are looking for is "Initial Solar Reflectance". Energy star criteria are that this number must be at least 0.25 and maintain 0.15 SR after 3 years. Mine are 0.27, higher is better.

Landmark Solaris Platinum shingles from Certainteed have an ISR of 0.40 but are $$$ because of higher cost per square and more bundles to cover 1 square.
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote