View Single Post
Old 09-29-09, 11:28 AM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Rennovation & Passivhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I certainly can appreciate that!

If you have any tips or ideas lemme know!
There was a push in the 1970s for 'Superinsulation'. The ideas were tried in Germany, where they didn't work out as expected (Germany is diffferent from California). The Germans picked up the idea and ran with it and now the idea is called "Passivhaus" or "Passive House" in the UK & , USA. It should not be confused with Passiver Solar although it uses some of the ideas contained in Passive Solar.

If I were you, I'd learn all I could about Passive House construction techniques and Passive House rennovation. Unless you start from scratch,you'll never be able to achive full Passive House standards (Rennovations may hit 50% Passivhaus standards, but you'll certainly be working a lot smarter.

The 'Thermal Bridging' concept came from the Passivhaus initiative.

There's a design spreadsheet that the Passive House folks sell called Passive House Planning Package (AKA: PHPP). I've been trying to get it on the cheap for some time now. No luck yet. The PHPP would not be required to proceed with your insulating project, but by successive applying 'what-if' ideas, you'd quickly gain a very astute intuition.

LINKS:

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-29-09 at 11:46 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote