View Single Post
Old 10-27-11, 09:43 AM   #26
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

There are a few necessary evils that I simply cannot remove(power off) within my house:

-the built-in WiFi router that came along with the TV+internet deal: it also does TV channel/signal converstion (always on)

-2ndary router (I have 2 discrete lines/routers for our house: both mommy and daddy occasionally telecommute from home and requires dedicated VPN tunneling)

-2 Scientific Atlanta channel box (1 is a PVR, the other one is a "slave").

-3 coffeetable A/C clocks.

-an asbsentminded mommy who occasionally left some lights on during the day, and an idling AMD PC (typically hovering between 28~32Watts/hr).

No hot water heater(natural gas, separate billing), electric cooking range, 1 standard 21ft fridge and a freezer chest (in the garage), motion sensor light for the back alley, etc.

-5 out of every 8 days: I have to have the staircase light on (kids afraid of the dark and those lil 7W nightlight isn't good enough. I have them retrofitted with 2x9Watts CFL already.

That's it.

Since we moved into this house not too long ago, the best record kept( with living within) was around 11kW/day. Typically averages around 12kW/day.

Q.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote