View Single Post
Old 04-04-11, 10:53 PM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default Alternative to bath vent fan? an idea or two.

I've been thinking about how I need to replace the bath exhaust fan in my bath room, partly because it's undersized and doesn't do a good job but also because we get a tax credit if it's energy star rated.
Now this got me thinking about how the bath fan really is just pulling conditioned moist air and dumping it outside, just to get rid of the moisture in the air, this seems like a bad idea, why not have a dehumidifier in the bath room on a humidistat or a timer so that instead of fogging up the windows it's pulling the moisture out of the air and drying it out, after all the air you dump outside has to be made up by non conditioned air some how, so in the winter that warm moist air is being replaced by cold dry air... in the summer it's being replaced by hot moist air.
Of course the bath vent fan also helps to keep the bath room from smelling bad, but there are room ionizers and UV light filters that can do the same thing, all while keeping your house sealed up and cozy.
So does anyone have a dehumidifier that they would like to try in their bath room while they shower? I would but I have a gym membership and haven't showered at home in months! it's almost worth it just in the water bill.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote