View Single Post
Old 10-04-11, 09:41 PM   #12
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Something is wrong with those CFL's because we were discussing in a different thread about our CFLs that we have, or could be found just browsing the aisles of the hardware store that get 70 lumens per watt or better. My kichen has CFLs that put out 1640 lumens and use 23 watts (71 lumens per watt)

450 lumens / 7.5 watts = 60 lumens per watt. It's not bad but still in a similar range of CFLs albeit a bit on the low end.

The one difference that most LEDs have is that their light is more focused in one direction which can be great if the end of the LED lamp is towards what you want lit as it will be brighter where you want it with less light cast off where it isn't needed. If you put one in your living room on a table lamp and it isn't designed to throw the light in every direction then the lamp looks a little funny, especially when you are trying to read or grab a magazine that is on the table that the lamp is sitting on and all the light is on the ceiling.

I use LED lighting in my bathroom as the fixtures point down so I get the advantage of the light being pointed at the sink and LEDs don't mind being switched on and off all the time. Less light reaches the ceiling and the shower but there is enough to take a shower so it works out. All depends on what type of fixture they are in. I considered getting the 60 watt replacements as a trial and comparing them to the 60 watt replacement LEDs which are both 13 watts and 800 lumens (62 lumens/watt) and seeing what sort of difference they would make but I couldn't justify spending the money and having perfectly good CFLs or LEDs just laying around waiting for a CFL in the house to burn out. I have over a dozen CFLs bought in the mid-90s that have been used in bedrooms and the computer room up until 2007 when I left that house. In over a decade only one out of the dozen installed ever burned out. The box they came in originally rated them for 10,000 hours but all of the boxes have a sticker over the 10,000 hours that says 12,000 hours. 40 watt equivalent long double tubes. I don't use them anymore because I live in a house that has fixtures none of these fit in.

If I get LEDs, I'd hate to leave my current CFLs at the same fate. It's easier to leave the older CFLs behind because their color temperature was greenish rather than the warmer or bluer colors and those old ones didn't allow for comfortable reading or computing like the new ones do.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote