View Single Post
Old 08-19-17, 05:41 PM   #7
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I think there is some power in considering the 'step-up' rounding calculation. Let's say your load calc ends up being 26000 BTUhr with manual J. Normally you'd put in a 30000 BTUhr unit. I'd play with the numbers to see what that 2.5 ton unit does in the space specced for 26000 BTUhr. ..basically, determine the temperature spread in reverse. Often it can cover the difference. Of course this depends on the climate.

It's a little different for me. Minnesota is a place where the lakes and prevailing moisture convection brings our dew point is sky high from June through August and we have muggy wet summers where a properly sized AC is critical. I'd rather have a few days where the hottest point indoors gets a little bit uncomfortable versus a bunch of low/partial load days where I feel like I'm swimming in humidity inside. I imagine Texas doesn't have as much moisture in the air and this is less of a factor. My house was stepped up to 2 tons and I'd rather have a 1.5 ton compressor for better moisture control. Heat isn't nearly as much of a big deal when the moisture is in control. Moisture doesn't feel comfortable.

It's quite humid here year round unless you are in west TX which is desert. Today it's pretty cool already. High was only 101 and it's already dropped to 92* at 5:30 which is very early for it to be that cool but the humidity is 65%....

The few places I have been on the coast and they complained about it being too humid and oversized units were actually cases of not setting the thermostat low enough. They were keeping it at 78 to 80 and yeah its not going to dehumidify because it's not set cool enough so it isn't running enough.

So far our ac has been working great. The electric usage is drastically less than the old system and the house can be kept at a comfortable mid to low 70s. The only thing I had to do was replace the capacitor which I should have done on install because the factory installed ones are horribly cheap. Spend the cash for a good made in us capacitor. Will last the life of the system and weighs much more than the cheapies.
If we were staying I probably would have gone with a two stage compressor as I prefer how they continually run instead of cycling as much as a single stage. Also would go with a unit that I could lower the continuois fan speed more. The continuous circulation makes for improved comfort however increases running costs.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote