View Single Post
Old 06-29-16, 06:12 AM   #20
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Jeff, yeah I saw the chart, I just don't trust liquids not freezing. Lol I'm not throwing any idea out the door yet. This dissucussion is awesome, and I'm trying to weigh all my options while sourcing parts for each build.

DEnd, nice write up, thanks for taking the time. I guess my thoughts are that I need both cold air and moisture removal and even though the dehumidifier is not removing as much water it is adding to my AC load by cause the 20+F heat gain. I probably could build a better designed dehumidifier with both the evap and condenser inside, I will add that to the list of things to look into. Right now my unit runs for about 10 hours and sucks about 2 gallons of water out keeping the house at 80-82F and 47-50% RH.

I do really like this salt idea, it is just way to cool to not put some serious time into testing. I have 50lbs coming in tomorrow and I'm going to source my large black pot today. (Yard sales).

I am going to build a small scale system just as soon as I source the parts. I can simply run it and the dehumidifier and see how much extra the salt absorbs.

All I really need is about 3 gallons of moisture removed without heating the house as much. I'm even giving thought to what jeff was saying about me using some of the HPWH water to recharge the salt. As cheap as my hot water is it would be a great idea, I'm just not sure how to build such a beast YET.

Thanks again, very very helpful post!