View Single Post
Old 01-21-16, 02:19 PM   #34
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I think current oil prices have more to do with global politics , than other things .

I too think it will go up sooner or latter . I just hope the low oil prices do not trigger WWIII . It has put Russia in a real financial bind ! That is what I read , anyway .

You are 100% correct , your Hybrids and EV's look better , the more $$$ oil / gasoline becomes . Especially if you are charging them via PV .

As far as gas mileage goes , let me leave you some food for thought . We bought a 1989 Cavalier in 1990 . It had been on the lot for a year . So , we got a good deal on it .

It had a 4 cylinder and automatic w/ A/C . Highway driving with the 55 mph speed limit , it would get 35 mpg in the winter & 30 mpg summer with the A/C running . ( Passing someone with the A/C running was some what of an adventure . )

Fast forward to the 2015 Sonic . 1.8 L 4 cylinder , which is a little smaller than the Caviler , DOHC , variable valve timing & intake runner length ( I think ) . Multi port FI , instead of TBFI , tons more computer processing capability .

The Sonic gets about 24 - 26 mpg in town , winter is better than summer . 34 - 37 mpg highway , 75 mph w/ A/C . This is an improvement from 1989 , but with all the technology that they have added , is it really that much better ?

We have owned about 4 - 5 V-6 GM cars that would do 30 + mpg highway , in larger / heavier cars .

I know a manual transmission car would probably get a little better mpg . But my Wife can not drive a manual . I tried , once to teach her . I am not going to try to repeat that endeavor . :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote