View Single Post
Old 06-20-12, 09:05 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Mini split vs portable A/C unit

At some point I would like a form of A/C in the house. I don't plan on using it a ton. I normally use box fans in my upstairs windows to suck out the hot air and cool down the house during the night. We also have and use our ceiling fans when we're in the room. This works really good except when two things happen. #1 it doesn't cool down at night. For the past couple of nights it has only dropped into the mid 70s at night and it has been in the low 90s during the day. This simply doesn't allow the house to cool off enough to be comfortable. Right now its in the mid 80s in the house. #2 is that its humid here in Wisconsin in summer. This makes those mid 80 temperatures very sticky and feel hotter than a dry 80 degrees. 80F I don't think would be bad at all if I had a dehumidifier. To sleep, we do have a small 6k window A/C unit that easily keeps our bedroom cool when things get this hot. So, this brings me to looking at my options.

The first thing that came to mind was a mini-split. I don't think I'd really need a large unit at all. My 1st floor is probably 900 sq/ft at most.

The next option down is a portable A/C unit. Something like this. Amazon is selling that 14k btu unit for $450. This seems incredibly reasonably priced considering a Sanyo 9k mini-split goes for almost $1k and you have to pay someone to charge the system.

I realize that the mini-split is probably a nicer option. It'll definitely be quieter and more efficient. I guess I'm looking for other input on the topic though. Is anyone using these portable A/C units?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote