Thread: Homebrewing
View Single Post
Old 06-03-12, 10:26 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I make hard cider because it's the most energy efficient way to store apple cider! toss $1 worth of yeast in a 5 gallon glass jug and let it sit in the living room for a few months, transfer it to the 5 gallon stainless steal soda kegs that came from the dump and carbonate it with the $15 CO2 tank from a garage sale, I currently have 7 gallons sitting in my laundry room on tap, some of it is being saved for a trade I did to get used lumber for my raised garden beds, I also traded some for 4 chickens and some goat cheese, I do drink it from time to time as well.
I've made beer but it's more work then I like, so I just get beer from the brewery down the road, growlers or kegs of beer cut back a great deal on the amount of recycling that we produce, it's also cheaper then buying small bottles.
I've tried making wine and most of it was a flop, lucky for me it was all free fruit that was being tossed, we do however have a row of black current bushes that we just planted that we might make wine from, or jelly.
I also make soda from time to time, Ginger Ale mostly, using the soda kegs, a 10 gallon batch every year for some friends who have a big summer party and from that I tend to get people wanting it for weddings as well, recently I made some rhubarb soda, 2 cups rhubarb juice, 1 cup sugar, put it in a 2 litter bottle and fill with water then carbonate, it was amazing!
On my list is Tonic Water (home made so it can have real sugar instead of corn syrup) because I really like Gin and Tonic's but would rather consume real sugar.

I'm also working out the details for a design to build a chiller so I can have something in a keg at room temp then chill it as it comes out of the keg, kind of like a jocky box with ice in it only with an electric chiller, something that can hang off the side of the keg would be ideal.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote