View Single Post
Old 07-02-11, 08:39 PM   #24
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Mower fleet update!

1) Mower #2 pics (the "before" ones):

It's also a Black and Decker (this one made in China), model LM115, 7A rating.

After working on the handle today, I think the problem was someone backed into it with a car, and bent the crap out of it. Looks like they made several attempts to straighten it, and that's where at least some of the metal fatigue came from.

Yes, it's actually duct taped. And, yes, those are hose clamps holding the handle on. There was also some tin tying the two sides together.

Metal failure at a weak spot.

2) Welded - this AM, I patched up the handle with the little welder and metal from the junk bike pile (head tubes). Just need to bolt it back together now, and touch up with a bit of paint.

3) Inverter test - plugged this one in (briefly) on the solar inverter at the shack and... success! It starts and runs! If it doesn't piss rain tomorrow AM as forecast, I'll try it out.

4) More batts for mower #1? I may have another source for used gel cell batteries: my brother knows someone who works for a company that sells/services those emergency lights (for power failures, eg. in apartment stair wells). He'll ask the guy what they do with the ones they swap out.
Attached Images

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote