View Single Post
Old 04-22-14, 11:03 AM   #225
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We put click flooring in. Very easy to work with. Very convincing appearance, too.

There was a problem with the older stuff as it was a press-board type of core, so if you have a spill, you must wipe it up immediately in case it gets in the cracks and causes swelling of the material.

A friend of mine had to re-do a chunk of his kitchen floor after his water cooler sprung a leak and caused the flooring to get all swollen/lumpy along the seams.
Thanks, good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
There is also high-traffic, spill-resistant (vinyl), commercial grade stuff available.
The industries that produce this stuff have squashed the vital information on the toxic effects of vinyl, whose effects become magnified when you reduce infiltration.

Please research this issue.

I'm preparing to do a room in a very similar manner to Daox's, and I'm going to use Marmoleum, which is really just a German version of old-fashioned linoleum (linseed oil + clay + other fillers), but they guarantee no toxics... very important to me on a heated floor. I got lucky and found an attractive roll of Marmoleum in a salvage center for 50 cents/ft2. I think Armstrong linoleum (not vinyl flooring) is pretty close to the German stuff... and if you are really resourceful, it can also be found for a song.

Can you imagine spending winters in a very tight house, like Daox is building, with heated, radiant floors that were covered with toxic, out-gassing, hazardous materials?

Oh yum.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-22-14 at 11:16 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (04-22-14)