View Single Post
Old 02-10-14, 06:03 PM   #10
jeff88
Lots of questions

I still haven't finished our bathroom, but I'll give a little update of what's done so far.

What the bathroom used to look like.

What the bathroom looked like in preparation for us to move in.

And now:

Painted the walls a silvery purple, purple shower curtain hung and curved rod installed (all per the boss's orders )
If you look at the right side of the shower curtain, right where it meets the wall, there is a node sticking out of the wall just above it. That is where the shower curtain used to be (aka way too high); you can see it in the first pic with the yellow wall.

Installed a new light fixture over the vanity.

My gf painted before I got a lot of this stuff done (not sure if she was just overly excited or giving me a hint ). Because of that, when I pulled off the old fixture, it ended up pulling off some paint with it, so I need to repaint. I was going to anyway, because she missed some spots and didn't use the right type of brush in others.

With the lights on:

We had this shower cabinet in our last place inside the tub, but it didn't work in this shower here, with the lip of the shower coming off the wall. What I did to fix that is attached a 1x2 strip of wood on top of the lip with a couple of screws. The cabinet has one of those angled hanging lips on it, so I got a French Cleat at Home Depot (I used to sell them at a previous job, so I knew they were available) and only installed the part that hangs on the wall into the 1x2. Worked like a charm!

You can see the wood strip sticking out, because I wanted the wood to be screwed into a stud. There was one on either end of the tub, so the strip of wood needed to be longer. I'm going to eventually paint it the wall color to camouflage it. The shower curtain also hides it.

The hanging mechanism.

You can see the screw going into a stud on the far left, one on the right just off frame.

You can see how the metal bar angles out just enough to hang something on.

It's a little hard to see, but the back of the cabinet has an angled lip.

I also installed a new shower head a little while ago (again with approval ). I also have a chlorine filter attached to it.

Shower Head: American Standard 1660.717.002
Shower Filter: Culligan ISH-200
Replacement Filters: Culligan WHR-140 Replacement Shower Filter Cartridge
They say that the filter cartridge should be changed every 6 months. The nice thing about Amazon is that the cartridge is automatically sent to me every 6 months (or whatever you want it to be). When the filter arrives, I know it's time to change it. No possibility of 'when did I put the old one in?'.

Last edited by jeff88; 02-10-14 at 06:11 PM..
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-10-14)