View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 09:46 PM   #8
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
*Puts flame suit on* I'm actually considering this, removing the wood blinds(which are dark and pull a ton of heat in) and attaching some drapery to the insulation, gasketing the edge and shoving a 2" sheet of XPS against the glass on the inside. Granted it isn't the outside but its also going to be on the front of the house so I'd like it to look somewhat normal. I'm thinking blocking the light will do more than the R10 will but it should amount to a roughly R12 window assembly that kicks the crap out of the performance of low-E gas. Would this work as well as I think it would?
I've been putting rigid foam board in some of our windows. I use the Atlas R-Board insulation in that it has nice light grey face sheets on the foam board that look nice and take paint well.
This is one of my windows:
A High R-Value Window Insulation Shutter with Good Light
I've since added it to several other windows that we don't look out of much. I've only been covering about 3/4's of the windows, leaving a gap at the top to let daylight in.

One inch of the R-BOARD is R6.5 -- its polyiso, so has high R per inch.
You could use 1.5 or 2 inch and get as much as R13 just from the foam board.

Also used the same stuff on our sliding glass door:
Insulating a Sliding Glass Door
I was going to take this out during the summer, but we just decided to leave it in year round as it does not interfere with the use of the door and still lets in plenty of light.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote