View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 01:59 PM   #36
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonk View Post
...the construction process and some more engineering data.
I don't have time right now to go through this thoroughly, but for starters, in the super-insulation section, there is mention of WUFI modeling.

This Wiki could be a real inspiration and a template for sustainable initiatives around the world if ideas like this were fleshed out. It just happens that I know what WUFI is, but I doubt that many other people do. It would also be extremely useful, and not so much extra work, if the actual WUFI models were available for download so that we could see exactly how you did it and easily adapt it to our own efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonk View Post
I just always wondered why not put a heat pump in the basement? the earth room concept tied to the earth tubes can a "sweet spot for the heat pump" stabilizing or increasing its efficiency
The basement is exactly where the heat pump belongs, because:
  • It is protected from weather, thus extending it's life.
  • Heat leakage from the compressor is added to the 'plus side' of heat available for the building.
  • It is protected from vandals & thieves.

Having the compressor outside (as in a mini-split) is sub-optimal.

Looks like a good project you have there.

I hope the detail of the presentation makes it a great project.

There is an 'open source' project that seems to me to be related to what you are doing, here is the link to it.

It is a project that I also think is absolutely bursting with potential.

So far, however, I don't see any 'there' there.

I am a total believer in open source, and although I didn't call it by that name, I intended the Homemade Heat Pump Manifesto to be exactly that, information made freely available, with no hooks, such that anyone with gumption and some tools could build their own.

I wish you the best on this project... Keep us all posted.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 12-27-11 at 02:01 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (04-22-17)