View Single Post
Old 04-22-15, 07:43 PM   #8
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I tried avoiding brazing to the BPHX also and wanted to use threaded connectors but the system it slowly leaked refrigerant and oil.
Not trying to offend you or anything, but are you sure you sealed the threads properly? (Maybe there is a special way it needs to be done for such high pressure?) I thought threaded flare connections were pretty standard in A/C stuff? I even found access valves for sale with 1/8" NPT threads. (still can't post a link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
When you braze, you will need a purging gas, like dry nitrogen or argon, etc. I used propane, which worked just fine, but I would not ever recommend that anyone do anything as dangerous and foolish.
This is one of the biggest reasons I don't want to braze. Eventually I'd like to braze a finished "contraption", but I would much prefer to thread my test system so that I can change parts easier. I also want to experiment with a thermal expansion valve, it might take more than one configuration before I'm happy.

I'd really be cranky if I spent $50+ on a heat exchanger, brazed it in, and then changed my mind about how I want this to work. (or ruined it in the process!)

I did read here about somebody's experience with compression fittings, and I can see why they might fail. I'm just not sure why threads would leak? I also wanted to store my R22 charge in a (new) paintball CO2 tank, which is threaded for 3/8" flare threads. How would I store the R22 if I can't seal the threads?
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote