View Single Post
Old 11-13-11, 05:12 PM   #27
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
A quick search for biodegradable soap for dishwashers I found....
Thanks. They answered my question (not covered in the FAQ) about the usability/legality of use of their product on boats (not holding tank, but direct disposal of graywater). I;m not sure if I am allowed to paste their answer here, but the gist of it is they don't know about directly discharging into seawater cause there is lack of regulations for such use. Their products are evaluated for normal waste disposal "via waste water treatment plants" & "designed to biodegrade in the presence of bacteria" "and in water, bacteria is present in smaller quantities than on land" ..."do not contain chlorine or phosphates, both of which are detrimental to waterways and aquatic life. ...Our detergents are likely safer than their market counterparts, however I can not say with certainty to what degree, or if they adhere to the legal guidelines of directly discharging into water."

Good folks, though. Heidi said: "I appreciate your interest in our products, and your caring enough about the ocean to be wary of using harmful detergents." Actually , from what I gather, using "dow" & such (degreasers) is more harmful and can get You in more trouble than dumping oil/gasoline into seawater. Good product for what it is. Probably safe to use in holding tanks that rely on biological rather than chemical treatment, for dump stations that don't allow chemicals & for on site graywater disposal. They were quick to reply too. I just failed to post it until I got an e-mail that someone replied to this thread. (Piwoslaw)

Piwoslaw, haven't heard of such a dishwasher, but a good idea for RVs & such.

Last edited by Slavic381; 11-13-11 at 05:21 PM..
Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote