View Single Post
Old 11-19-16, 06:23 AM   #22
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Nope, not normal...the butcher got to it. Looks like the work of a carpenter and his helper. Person one suspended the unit close to the wall, person two hacked with a saw in one hand and a knife in the other. Maybe some wire cutters were involved, maybe not. I imagine all the copper got scrapped immediately with the rest of the demolition. I would just cut the pipes off square where they are not crushed and put flare nuts and unions on the ends. Less chance of burning something and easy to experiment with.

It's safe to say the unit has been exposed to atmosphere for quite a while. I would check the ends of the tubes for bugs or their remains after flaring the ends. Yes, you can still buy pipe cleaners cheaply at the smoke shop. For larger tubing, gun barrel cleaning tools do the trick. Then a double or triple wash with solvent and shop air or welding nitrogen or argon. I like acetone or brake cleaner. Finally, a double rinse and blowout with whatever oil your compressor likes. Any tiny residue of solvent or moisture will come out with a vacuum pump when the plumbing is sealed. Make sure installer uses a vacuum pump and micron vacuum gauge.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote