View Single Post
Old 01-05-15, 09:45 PM   #16
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quest I followed the link , and copied below the last statement , which states a power factor correcting device would be impractical to use , do to having many motors that need one.

Which to me sounds like they will work for one motor or even a complete fused circuit that could run many 'motors'.

If I understand Power Factor correctly , does it mean the device itself is inefficient with the power consumed. Such as a 100w appliance with a power factor of 57 is using more watts then it would need if its power factor was 98 or 100 ?

from link:

First, residential customers are not charged for KVA-hour usage, but by kilowatt-hour usage. This means that any savings in energy demand will not directly result in lowering a residential user's utility bill. Second, power factor correction devices themselves use energy to work, so the amount of energy they save must be greater than the amount of energy they need to operate. The only potential for real power savings would occur if the product were only put in the circuit while a reactive load (such as a motor) were running, and taken out of the circuit when the motor is not running. This is impractical, given that there are several motors in a typical home that can come on at any time (refrigerator, air conditioner, HVAC blower, vacuum cleaner, etc.), but the unit itself is intended for permanent, unattended connection near the house breaker panel.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote