View Single Post
Old 12-26-13, 07:49 PM   #17
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

So, I did some more research into what the code says about recessed fixtures. It seems that, regardless of the type of light used, if you want to put insulation on them, you have to get an IC rated canister on the top side. What makes an enclosure IC rated? Certification by an approved laboratory. Makes me wonder if I can send in one of my homemade fixtures to get them tested and certified, ha!

I just measured with an IR thermometer, and after 48 hours on with insulation on top, the temperature is on the order of 115F directly on the top of the fixture.
However, there don't seem to be any public specs about maximum temperature that a fixture can have to be OK for direct contact. It's really a bummer, because it means that, to be code compliant, I have to enclose the tops of these fixtures. Luckily, what seems to be a compliant way to enclose them is to build a box out of fire rated drywall, taped together with fire tape, and put it over the top. Yes, seriously. Taping a drywall box together and putting it over the top is compliant. Having a fixture that doesn't exceed 120F to begin with is not. I understand the needs for standardization in building codes, but that still left me with an incredulous look on my face.

So, just to be safe, I'll buy a sheet of 1hr fire rated drywall and build a 5" box around each of the fixtures. Does anyone have any more insight into fire codes, is there maybe something I've missed?
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote