View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 10:48 PM   #16
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGo View Post
I'd like to see a schematic of the wiring; it will help me learn to be a semi-incompetent home DIY electrician, instead of the hopelessly incompetent one I am now.
Used book stores and thrift stores usually have some quality books on the subject of home electrical wiring. Time Life books published one called "Basic Wiring". I have a copy, and I recommend it. I'll be happy to keep my eye out for a decent book for you, if you'd like. I usually don't pay more than $5 for a used book. Some of my favorite DIY books on electrical subjects were written in the 1970's-1980's before everything became disposable.

On the Franken-lamp, as with all edison based lamps, the "hot" wire goes to the tab for contact at the tip of the bulb, the "neutral" wire goes to the threaded ring along the side of the bulb. I used my $5 harbor freight digital multimeter to verify continuity from the male wall plug to the top of the fixture to determine proper polarity.

Thanks to Bajoos: the liquid electrical tape was a perfect solution to my exposed terminal screws.

Last edited by where2; 08-09-13 at 10:51 PM..
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote