View Single Post
Old 01-21-13, 06:21 PM   #26
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Interestingly enough, the transformer itself doesn't have a ground wire, only hot and neutral. It's in a plastic housing, so I guess they deem it unnecessary - on post-transformer side, if you ever end up with current going through something touchable, it's only 12V, so grounding isn't as crucial.

In the kitchen, I'm going to use the existing Romex from the switch to the lights. The light switches themselves are going to be grounded if I transform after the switch - I guess I could hook the ground conductor from the lighting wires up to the incoming ground and ground the modules through that, but I don't think a module failure that would have 12V running through the module backplate is very likely.

You can conceivably use screws to hold the modules in place. In fact, you could directly screw them into drywall - they only get a little warm to the touch. I just decided on gluing because it was easier with the mounting method I used

Unfortunately the transformer I posted a picture of isn't going to work - turns out it outputs 12V AC, which these modules don't work with. I've ordered a different one which should fit into a 6" switch box (it's 5.1"x2"x1.5"). I'll post about installation as soon as I get it (should be about a week).
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote