View Single Post
Old 06-30-12, 10:59 PM   #18
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

So this hot water heater requires separate HWT. Also it makes sens only to use it in summer time, or you will have walk-in cooler-basement. It is not bad if plan to store beer or wine or meat. There is no magic if you get BTUs you have to make them or steal them. Using this unit in heating season will eventually steal your heat from your heated space. It is just matter of time.

Because it will work properly only in warm season I would get condensing unit from split AC (and just revers it) or HP and put it outside. Also outside thermostat can control start HP or just use regular elements. If outside goes bellow efficiency point (too cold) your electric elements kick in or you start using hot water from whatever heater you might have (it can be oil boiler or on demand gas heater). As soon as you above efficiency point (worm weather) your thermostat switches back to HP.

I gave my example with ground loop but you can use air. You don't have to dig tranches for this. Just make your system smart enough to choose the source of heat.

Capacity or this unit is very low, you can use it only as supplementary heater if you have family of 2 plus 2 kids.

AC/HP split could be 2-3 ton capacity and this is enough for DHW.

In my opinion this unit is a waste of money and potential trouble maker.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote