View Single Post
Old 09-03-13, 09:32 PM   #1558
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
The question I am relying to is "what can the DIYer do?" They can build, rather inexpensively, a set of copper based heat exchangers that sit in a deep bore hole of water. These can be built with simple techniques to accelerate turbulence (dimples) to maximize heat transfer.
So, if I'm understanding, you are suggesting copper, specifically scrap copper, because copper pipe purchased new is so horrendously expensive. And you are willing to accept shorter loopfield life in order to give DIY folk an easy workable material, right?

Well, since HDPE is really pretty cheap, and a big holdup is that it is not particularly turbulence inducing... why not make an electrically heated "dimpler" (newly coined word, I claim all rights, and lefts). I mean I made a thermostatically controlled HDPE fusion device that usually cost $1000+, for $7 from a teflon skillet and a mini-paninni maker heating element (you did see that in the manifesto, right?).

So how about a dimpler that is a bit like a cross between a waffle maker and an "Iron Maiden", electrically heated and thermostatically controlled.

In fact, an awesome EcoRenovator might even be able to put a twisting feature in the dimpler, too.

Maybe even make two heated wheels that could continuously process a length of pipe.

Wow, the possibilities are staggering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
But conventional bore holes with HDPE vertical loops are expensive . . . and are curtailing the acceleration of the industry.

I really wonder about that. I read that in Europe, the whole thing can be installed, enough to heat a house for $6K (US). Of course their houses are much more sensible, as ours will become when we end our military subsidy of oil.

I actually paid good money to go to a GSHP installers training and certification, and industry self-protection and profiteering were everywhere to be seen.

In fact... I was so upset that I started a blog called, "The Homemade Heat Pump Manifesto", in order to empower people to self-install this wonderfully efficient heating method, and make an end run around those fat cat idiots that are trying to enrich themselves at other peoples expense, by colonizing, controlling and obfuscating information.

Knowledge is freedom, knowledge is power!

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-05-13 at 01:23 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (06-23-14)