View Single Post
Old 06-20-12, 01:07 PM   #110
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Vlad,

Excellent write-up.

Congratulations on the well-drilling goal, and good luck on joining up your loop field. You have some pretty good tools, so it should be pretty straight forward.

What does your hole pattern look like, and how do you intend to join up the wells? I assume you will use some kind of series/parallel setup.

When you purge your system, you'll need a minimum purging velocity. As I recall it is something like 2 linear feet per second. So keep some pump that is able to deliver sufficient volume to give you 2 ft/min minimum in your pipes.

HERE is a trade publication issue that addresses GSHP loop issues. Their intention is to sell you stuff, but you may find something that is actually DIY-useful. As I recall, they recommend a 'home run' setup, with each well running back to a manifold which has separate flow gauges and valves, just like your radiant floor manifold. It makes purging simpler, and balancing easier, but the real advantage (for them) is that they get to sell you more the hardware. You might be able to dream up a hybrid setup that would give you most of the advantages of easy purging and loop balancing with less hardware.

Best,

-AC_Hacker