View Single Post
Old 06-07-12, 04:33 AM   #107
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

AC thanks for coming and making all posts about drilling. It is definitely helpful for many people. Our life just makes us sometimes keep going non stop and it is hard to find extra time to share with others.

There are most of the specs for most of the components I used building the rig just few posts ago.

I made couple of changes and will post pictures and info about them.

Last time I grouted holes I didn't pump water out from holes before grouting. I didn't notice a big difference in grout pump performance. But it makes more mess around.

I tried some coarse sand for grout and it compacted inside the pump making it impossible to pump. The sand I used before was washed river sand (fine).

The diaphragm pump that I use for grouting is pumping line pressure (120-130 PSI). This pressure allowed me to pump grout (more liquid then mortar for laying bricks but harder then just cement slurry) through 1 1/2" flexible PVC pipe up to 70'. I tried longer pipe but it didn't go.

This is just an idea what to expect when you start grouting. I think drum with grout and just air pressure is not a good idea. I think the best way to grout is to buy or build a plunger pump. You don't need huge volume but definitely need 200-250 PSI for grouting. With high pressure you can use smaller diameter tremie pipe for grouting. Because using 2" tremie pipe @100-150' depth will make it impossible to pull it out from hole. You can even break it while pulling it out. I think something like this might work:

http://www.chemgrout.com/050m.htm

Drilling is really not a big deal. Grouting is real pain. For this reason I decided to drill only 60' but with 15 holes I will get min of 4 ton capacity.

Last edited by Vlad; 06-07-12 at 04:51 AM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote