View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 11:28 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendortb View Post
Should i remove the drywall around all of my windows in order to remove the fiberglass and install great stuff?
Great stuff, or equivalent foam, is so much better than fiberglass for sealing around windows, that you'll probably wonder why you wasted so much time thinking about it.

I think that you definitely should dig out the fiberglass and foam the perimeters of the windows.

Regular great stuff keeps expanding into its hardening phase, and can distort a vinyl frame so that the window doesn't close easily, or at all. I ended up using regular GS at the corners for strength, and low-expansion for the sides and top & bottom. Worked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendortb View Post
If I install touch foam, this would make the windows harder to remove. Suggestions here?
If you're going to do the wrap and re-siding this summer, it might be a good idea to wait. But if you're like me, and it takes a while to get stuff finished, foam now and live with the results when that remodel time actually comes.

I don't know if your windows are mounted with 'fins' on the outside or not but if not, removing the windows should be quite easy. Some very careful use of a repiprocating saw or even a small electric chainsaw would make removing the foam a snap.

-AC_Hacker