View Single Post
Old 12-23-16, 08:47 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Industrial strength UV water sterilizer

I found a potentially unlimited source of free used industrial strength 1.6kw UV water sterilization tubes.
From what I have been able to find out about these is at full power they sterilize water at around 300gpm per tube.
With the power source they are supposed to have they can run variable power from 20 or 25% up to 100%.
So if 100% = 1.6kw then 25% should be about 400w.
They start with up to a thousand or so volts and at full power use around 7 to 8 amps at 200v.
I powered one up with a microwave oven transformer and varrac. But this only allows me ton run it up to about 10% power, because the microwave oven transformer is a high voltage low current constant voltage power supply.
So I need a constant power source, like a pulse start metal halide ballast transformer.
I'm thinking about getting a 1,000w pulse start metal halide ballast transformer for HID lighting.
The plasma composition, electrode distance of the UV bulb versus a standard metal halide bulb are all fairly close.
The ballast transformer is a constant power source so it will start at high voltage then drop down the voltage and increase amps until it's only trying to push around 1000 watts.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote