View Single Post
Old 11-18-09, 01:14 PM   #24
Southcross
Lurking Renovator

I started the conversion to CFL when they first started to come out... I bought a phillips CFL for $28 back when they first came out (1999/2000 ish?). Longest lasting bulb I have owned to date, ran 24-7 in a hallway fixture for about 4-5 years till it started to "flicker" and was retired to the washroom, finally gave up about a year or so ago. I made the "full" conversion to CFL about 3-4 years ago. All the rest of my bulbs are the "4-pack for $8 at your local home improvement store" CFLs.... I've burned up 3 or 4 of them over the last few years.

What I have learned:
cheap CFLs don't last long
cheap CFL + 24-7 = fast death
cheap CFL + 24-7 + verticle (pointing up) fixture = faster death
cheap CFL + heat (or lack of air flow?) = fastest death.

What I discovered is that using the cheap CFL inside a fixture with a globe kills a CFL in a few months. I on a hunch, did an experiment... after killing 3 cheap CFLs in my hallway fixture (has a globe), instead of completely installing the globe (yes I know I can omit the globe, I chose "fashion" over "form"), I screwed the globe fixing screws in and instead of securing the globe the globe now "sits" on the screws.... its been two years and the CFL hasn't popped yet.
Southcross is offline   Reply With Quote