View Single Post
Old 01-05-14, 10:18 AM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default graphical analysis of GT heat pump

My electric utility has a data logger that gives graphs and data for daily electrical consumption and the average temperature for that interval.

I grabbed about two months of data and plotted average temp vs. kWhrs for each day. I have geothermal heat pumps in both houses and I expect that the colder it gets the more consumption

Not surprisingly, the above is true, but I was surprised at how linear the relationship was. To be truthful, I have used this analysis for other companies and homes and it works when you have a meter you can interrogate (or look at) on a consistent basis (natural gas meter for example).

For this, I looked up our local winter degree days and average winter temp. From that, I can find from the graph, the average daily kWhr consumption and the statistical length of winter.

By observing where the electrical consumption is at 65 F, I can account for basal use. Subtracting total from basal use, I can see just how much just heating costs.

Mind you, I must appear rather extravagant to many uses here, but this accounts for two homes, barn office, pumps for water (livestock) and heaters to keep livestock waterers from freezing.

Now I post and see if converting the Excel spreadsheet to a PDF and loading that helps. Thanks Daox!

Steve

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf average daily temp vs. daily kWhr.pdf (201.9 KB, 734 views)

Last edited by Daox; 01-06-14 at 08:18 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevehull For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-06-14)